Hiya there, misfits! My name is Alexa, and I’m the girl behind the curtain here at Misfit Alexa! I’m a 20 year-old college student, going to school in New York City, studying towards a BA in English and an MS in Publishing. I’m in my junior year of college, which means that with my program, I’ve got a full two years ahead of me still!
Anyway, those are the nuts and bolts of who I am, but let’s get to the fun stuff. If you’re here, that means that you’re interested in boosting your creativity to superman (and woman) status! Here on the blog, I love writing all about creativity, and writing itself! If you stick around long enough, you’ll see that I have a kind of supernatural love for books and the written word (I’m hoping to write a few of my own one day!), and I can’t wait to help you along your creative journey if you want to join the ride, too.
But in case you want some more information about this gorgeous little lady, here are a few fast facts on me!
• I grew up in California, and moved out to NYC for college — it was the first time I’d left home, and it was across the entire country!
• I love writing (duh), art, movies, reading, and theatre! Basically anything surrounding entertainment.
• I originally planned on going to school for performance and musical theatre, but my plan kind of got redirected, and I’ll probably go into a huge personal blog post on that one day.
• My favorite movies of all time are Top Gun and 10 Things I Hate About You. Top Gun was shot in San Diego (my hometown!), so on the 25th Anniversary, my mom and I went to a special showing and had lunch at the bar from the movie!
• I’m currently on a track towards a healthier lifestyle, with the help of Weight Watchers! With asthma and the extra weight around, I’m ready to make a change.
• Last year, I completed NaNoWriMo for the first time and it was amazing, crazy, exhilarating, and totally worth it! I can’t wait to continue the streak and write more this year!
• Most of my pictures that I have everywhere look pretty different — because I love dying my hair! So far, it’s been brown (natural), then added highlights, then electric blue, pink, blonde, purple, and now it’s fading into a cool gray color. I honestly have no idea what I’m going to do next, but I’m thinking about some kind of red or magenta.
• I watch more Netflix than I probably should, specifically horror movies (I’m a big gore buff) and long TV shows. Currently, I’m watching The 100, Grey’s Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, Doctor Who, and I watch Shameless, Teen Wolf, and The Fosters outside of Netflix. Alright, I’m a little addicted.
• I’ve been fighting depression, insomnia, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder since I was about thirteen, and they kind of came to a peak during freshman year of college. Again, it’s a post I’ll go deeper into, but just know that I am all about learning to live a happier and more fulfilling life every day.
• The most important things in my life are my family, my friends, and God. They’re my big three, and even though my relationship with them is constantly changing (sometimes harder, sometimes easier), it’s also constantly growing and I can’t wait to see where the future brings me with me.
All in all, I spend way too much of my time watching Netflix and trying new hobbies. Obviously.
If you’re new here, go ahead and check out my most popular posts below, and get yourself acquainted with the blog! I can’t wait to hang out with you!
• How to Really Write a Character… with Depression
• 7 Gorgeous Journals That Will Make You Want To Write More
• 5 Free Online Resources All Writers Need To Be Using
• 5 Ways That Handwriting Will Make You A Better Writer
PS, if you want to know even more about me and you’re interested in getting weekly updates and a free writing prompt every Sunday, subscribe to my newsletter below!